Visiting Canberra - What to See and Do
(Canberra Airport CBR, Australia)
Canberra is the seat of Australian Parliament and the country's capital city, situated between the two major Australian cities of Sydney and Melbourne.
The city of Canberra is a decidedly modern one, with the completion of the city having only taken place in the early 20th century.
As such, Canberra is a mix of modern architecture, monuments and museums that reflect Australia's growth as a nation.
Ten things you must do in Canberra
- Get to know Canberra by taking a walking tour of the city. Numerous tour guides in central Canberra lead walking tours of the city's most prominent tourist attractions including both parliament houses and the Australian War Memorial.
- Take a cruise on Lotus Bay in Canberra's Yarralumla district and admire Canberra's remarkable skyline and capture glimpses its major landmarks.
- Go on a helicopter ride at Canberra International Airport and get a bird's eye view of the city and the surrounding countryside.
- Learn about Canberra's fascinating natural history and ecology at the impressive CSIRO Discovery Centre, which features many hands-on scientific exhibits.
- Take your family for a fun day out on Lake Burley Griffin, which has numerous attractions including rowboats, canoes, picnic spots and walking trails.
- Witness a demonstration of the age-old trade of blacksmithing by one of the few remaining practitioners of the craft at the Ginninderra Blacksmith's Workshop.
- Learn more about Australia's fascinating Aboriginal culture at the beautiful Girrawah park, which has a number of ancient Aboriginal archaeological sites and remains.
- Visit Canberra's historic Gold Creek Village, home to a number of independent shops as well as a cultural centre providing fascinating glimpses into local life.
- Ride the Michelago Tourist Railway, which features restored steam locomotives that take tourists along a very scenic stretch from Canberra Station to Michelago.
- Get to know the history of Canberra at the National Capital Exhibition, which has many exhibitions and displays regarding the city's development over the past century.